COFFEE DIARY: Monmouth Coffee



On my last trip to London-Town my bestie recommended the Monmouth coffee chain to me. That afternoon I found myself coffee-starved and alone, so thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try it out. I went to the original store in Covent Garden on (wait for it) Monmouth Street and found it a very small, smart cosy little place, packed with equally smart looking people. Yet despite it's slick first impressions, the atmosphere was undoubtedly friendly and made all the more so by the communal seating arrangements. This can feel a little intimate. I was told by one of the Baristas that they are often the meet-cute cafe for many a blissful couple. Mobile phones are not permitted at the tables, but if the forced-socialness doesn't put you off, then it's weirdly relaxing. 

I ordered a flat-white, which came promptly and lived up to all my post-Berlin coffee expectations. The milk complimented the espresso perfectly, the foam was silky without being too cold and the coffee they used was warm and sweet. The coffee-curious among us will appreciate the leaflet explaining all their blends, which you can buy to take home. For those of you who are not coffee-fanatics, they also offer non-coffee options and a selection of cakes. 

If I'm honest it did feel a little bit crowded but I have heard that the other stores are slightly bigger, so it's worth checking those out. I certainly will be next time I'm in town. Anything for that perfect cup of coffee, eh?

1 comment :

  1. I love Monmouth. Their espresso's are one of the best I've ever tasted - so much flavour and intensity. I only ever had it to drink out though, so I've not experienced their communal tables.

    I'd also recommend 'Sacred' coffee in the soho area. They're a New Zealand chain of cafes, nd they've got a branch on Carnaby Street. It's a really cool environment, and they've even plonked their coffee machine atop a lecturn. You should check it out if you're ever in the area.

    ReplyDelete