A Cheeky Brunch on Gloucester Road

IMG_8872

To celebrate the end of term a few of my house mates and I decided to mosey on down to Gloucester Road for a spot of brunch. Clifton was too expensive and we were keen to test new waters and determined to scour the array of charity shops for last minute Christmas presents. After a few tentative menu readings we settled on The Social, found at the mouthpiece of Stokes Croft.

IMG_8871

It was a perfect, perfect choice. The interior is so rustic and cosy, with lots of lovely Christmas trees and twinkly lights. The seating is split between large, squashy sofas and straight backed wooden chairs, the tables between coffee tables, small round tables, tables for four and large trestle-like wooden beasts. There is essentially a table and a chair for everyone! We grabbed an intimate table for four along with a couple of their hardback menus and started perusing the Breakfast choices. Being a wheatard* it's often a challenge to find something with suitable ingredients let alone something that actually tastes nice! Brunch and Breakfast menus are generally off limits for me because bread seems to be the meal staple. However, The Social serve a Bubble and Squeak with Poached Egg brunch, making my order unusually simple (I usually have to be a bit creative and create my own meal out of sides or omit certain parts of the dish) My friend Ellie had poached Eggs with Hollandaise sauce and Shumi and Nicki had toasted sandwiches with mushrooms, beetroot and fries.

IMG_8869IMG_8868
IMG_8864IMG_8865IMG_8866IMG_8867

The coffee was good, the company delicious - overall an incredibly successful outing. I will definitely be returning sometime in the New Year!

IMG_8863

After eating our fill we headed straight for our Charity Shop mission, starting at The Salvation Army shop. We all came out with items for £2! What a marvel, charity shops that are actually cheap! I, unfortunately, had to cut my bargain hunting task short, as I had to catch my train home, but I gather the girls continued the cheap, festive fun all the way up Gloucester Road. JEALOUS.

IMG_8873

Where have you bought most of your Christmas Presents this year? Shops? Internet? Ebay? Handmade?

No comments:

Post a Comment