Rain.


I love everything about summer rain; the smell of the warm, wet pavement, the refreshing relief of cool water penetrating the muggy atmosphere. I love wearing raincoats without jumpers underneath and wellies without socks, I love how the bright summer colours of trees and flowers become stronger, almost to the point of being overpowering against a grey, cloudy canvas.

I love that I can walk in the rain without getting cold. It's like having a warm bath, just ever ever so gradually. Saying this, I only like summer rain in cities and towns, perhaps it's to do with the whole pavement thing. I don't know. But I can say with absolute certainty that I really don't like summer rain on beaches, the sand gets all gross and your picnic gets all soggy.

I don't know what it is about today's rain that seemed so special - it just gave me such excitement and such joy. I love how the rolling of the thunder interspersed with the pitter-patter of raindrops echoed in my heart and were reflected in my emotions. It was more anticipation and the sense of adventure than sadness, a weather meditation rather than pathetic fallacy.

It reminded me of the Nooma video 'Rain' by Rob Bell, where he carries his baby son through the woods in the rain telling him that everything's going to be okay, emulating the way God carries us through the stormy patches in our lives. When I heard the rain outside my window this morning and as I opened my curtains to the tumbling precipitation I had an overpowering sense of being held tightly by my creator. In that moment the heavy, earthly matters weighing down my heart and my mind were replaced by a heavenly lightness, something which has undoubtably carried me through the day.

I guess there's just something gorgeously holy about rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment