A Note on Politics

Since the elections last Summer I have refrained from political thought, opinion and indeed enthusiasm. The girl who diligently researched the political parties and their campaigns, writing thorough and detailed to-do lists is now disillusioned with the government and its leaders. When it comes to politics I find every option disappointing and uninspiring. I want to be politically active, I want to care about who runs my country but recently the whole 'What's the point? They don't listen' argument is proving rather convincing.

In the last few weeks there have been numerous protests in Bristol and other university cities. Protests which I didn't attend. I wanted to, but deep down I couldn't help feeling that it would be a waste of my time, that nothing would come of it, thus I refused to skip lectures for them. Again, I just wanted to distance myself and my own thoughts from the current politically situation as much as possible.

However, whilst reading the news this morning I came across a video of David Cameron scolding the students for the way they protested. Now I know that violence is not the answer, but if politicians are not listening or indeed even recognising peaceful protests then what else can be done!? As I sat there watching him waffle on like a pompous, unreasonable headmaster I couldn't help but think what a ghastly mistake he and his coalition are making in the way they are handling the question of University fees. Do they not realise that the students protesting are the future of this country? They are the future voters, politicians, businessmen, scientists, writers and artists that will go on to have a major impact on Britain and its politics. By treating us like naughty school children they are only fanning the flame of discontent This is not just about a rise in tuition fees in fact I'm not even sure if that's the main stimulus for our anger. Rather it's frustration at yet another government who refuses to listen and has once again made a mockery of democracy. Naturally, in a coalition, politics depends on compromise, but I feel Mr Clegg should be aware that there is a difference between a compromise and an undermining of the values for which your party was voted into government for.

My rather defeated hopes now rest on the success of the Labour party, although I'm rather doubtful that a man who looks and sounds like Big-Bird will really revolutionise the party and make the necessary changes needed in order to win back mass support or indeed my vote. What we lack in British politics are good, solid leaders who genuinely and meticulously care about the welfare and the future of British society. Instead we are left with ignorant, power-hungry oxbridge graduates who are so far removed from the real world, I often wonder whether we live in the same England.

Rant over. I will continue to refrain from political comment from now on.

2 comments :

  1. I remember when Gordon Brown promised a referendum on one of the European Union Treaties. When Labour got voted in again, that idea went out the window. He sneaked off to Europe to sign it a few days after the other leaders had signed it. He wanted to stay out of the "Family Photo" but it still got in the Press.
    After seeing that, I felt deep dismay at the sight of a politician who couldn't keep his promise.
    With regard to tuition fees, I sense the Lib Dems didn't know how big the black hole of national debts was, but they should still have kept their promise.
    About Labour - don't forget it was them who are partly responsible for this massive black hole of national debt that has annoyed the students, scrapped HMS Ark Royal and made a squadron of Harrier pilots redundant.

    Ellie, maybe you should be an MP. I can just imagine you at a conference, passionately reading this blog entry off the autoqueue to the party faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with a lot of this. You write very well!

    ReplyDelete